2015 November – Adelaide to Southend

Posted by on November 29, 2015


Total Sailing time : 60h27m (3627 minutes)
Travelled distance : 565.599 km (305.075 nm)
Average Speed : 9.34 km/h (5.04 knots)
Peak Speed : 19.53 km/h (10.54 knots) on 2015/11/26

With our October blog finishing up on November 10 thanks to the crossing of the Bight, our entry this month covers fewer days than normal.

2015-11-10 - FROM Port Adelaide Beach TO Squadron Marina

Trip start : 2015/11/10 07:44:38 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-09T22:44:38Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/10 08:30:10
Trip Duration : 0h45m (45 minutes)
Start Point : 138.475006,-34.828838
End Point : 138.489288,-34.775318
Travelled distance : 8.008 km (4.324 nm)
Average Speed : 10.67 km/h (5.76 knots)
Peak Speed : 13.94 km/h (7.52 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 6.092 km (3.289 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 8.12 km/h (4.38 knots)

After spending the night anchored off the beach, upon waking we were quickly on our way to the Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron marina. Soon tied away, we started considering the repairs we needed to make. After our issues handling the headsails at sea, we knew that the furler needed attention, so David called Profurl in Sydney for the name of the local Profurl expert, and we soon welcomed Peter Boyd of Adelaide Swage and Rigging on board.

View of the Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron clubhouse from the top of XTsea's mast.

View of the Royal South Australian Yacht Squadron clubhouse from the top of XTsea’s mast.

It was quickly decided that the entire forestay and furler would have to come down to have some parts replaced. Peter was also good enough to take our two sails down to a sailmaker for repairs, saving us quite a lot of hassle.

Next day Doug came to the boat and we soon had the gear on the dock. The major issue was a loose joiner, but in order to remove it we had to disassemble the entire mechanism, and it was found that some fixings were badly corroded and seized. After trying some heat and a little bit of force, we were having no luck and so a bench drill was brought to the dock and the fixings drilled out. We worked out what parts were needed so the order was placed and all we had to do was wait for them to arrive.

While waiting, we decided to do a bit of exploring. First we whipped out the bikes and rode into Port Adelaide for a visit to Whitworths. We enjoyed the ride south on the bike trail by the shore before heading into town. David thought he would take a quick ride out to Jaycar, but misread the scale of our map and took a fair bit more time to make a trip of about 15 kilometers. We then made a quick visit to the Information Centre where we grabbed a few better maps.

'Explorer of the Seas' travelling past the RSAYS marina

‘Explorer of the Seas’ travelling past the RSAYS marina

The next day we took a train into Adelaide itself. We found the train system to be very easy to use, and the stations on our line were so close together that passengers could walk to their nearest station. We were soon in the city, and locked our bikes up to take a wander. After a bit of a delay working out the bus system, we jumped on a free circle bus for a bit of a tour.

Stomachs rumbling, we jumped off the bus and found a food court. David found it hard to pass up a ‘Fill your plate’ asian outlet so we took full advantage.

Fill your plate for a fixed price. We took full advantage!

Fill your plate for a fixed price. We took full advantage!

After lunch, we walked up and down Rundle Mall before heading back to the train station and the boat.

After finding a few leaks on the crossing, David pulled apart some of the hatches and decided to replace the O-ring seals. After the weekend, he took his bike on the train and made his way to CBC for some new ones. On the way back, he visited the Aviation Museum at Port Adelaide.

In front of the F111 at the Port Adelaide Aviation Museum.

In front of the F111 at the Port Adelaide Aviation Museum.

A WWII vintage DC-3. We explored a wrecked DC-3 in the Kimberleys.

A WWII vintage DC-3. We explored a wrecked DC-3 in the Kimberleys.

With the furler repaired and installed, some laundry done, some groceries added to our stock, and the sails back on board, we were soon on our way.

2015-11-18 - FROM Squadron Marina TO Hallots Cove

Trip start : 2015/11/18 10:19:47 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-18T01:19:47Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/18 15:45:13
Trip Duration : 5h25m (325 minutes)
Start Point : 138.489334,-34.775360
End Point : 138.499359,-35.061729
Travelled distance : 45.098 km (24.350 nm)
Average Speed : 8.32 km/h (4.49 knots)
Peak Speed : 13.74 km/h (7.42 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 31.855 km (17.200 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 5.88 km/h (3.17 knots)

2015-11-19 - FROM Hallots Cove TO Haycock Point VIA Moana

Trip start : 2015/11/19 06:32:34 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-18T21:32:34Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/19 17:43:12
Travelling Time : 6h52m (412 minutes)
Trip Duration : 11h10m (670 minutes)
Start Point : 138.499130,-35.061340
End Point : 138.320236,-35.421398
Travelled distance : 54.140 km (29.233 nm)
Average Speed : 7.88 km/h (4.25 knots)
Peak Speed : 14.72 km/h (7.95 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 43.207 km (23.330 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 6.29 km/h (3.39 knots)

Wind disappeared around midday, so we stopped in at Moana. We enjoyed a bracing swim before continuing on to Haycock Point. The last hour of the trip we had to motor into a very strong headwind to get to a depth in which we could anchor.

Next morning David was adjusting the stays when he lost our large spanner in about 6m of crystal clear water. Time for another bracing swim!

2015-11-20 - FROM Haycock Point TO Christmas Cove

Trip start : 2015/11/20 07:20:43 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-19T22:20:43Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/20 14:01:58
Trip Duration : 6h41m (401 minutes)
Start Point : 138.320693,-35.421371
End Point : 137.935104,-35.718231
Travelled distance : 72.428 km (39.108 nm)
Average Speed : 10.83 km/h (5.85 knots)
Peak Speed : 16.65 km/h (8.99 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 48.019 km (25.928 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 7.18 km/h (3.87 knots)

Heading off to Kangaroo Island!

Dolphins showing off for Colleen on the way to Kangaroo Island.

Dolphins showing off for Colleen on the way to Kangaroo Island.

On the way, the autopilot suddenly stopped working. Colleen took the helm and expertly squeezed XTsea into Christmas Cove near Penneshaw.

The very tight entry to Christmas Cove.

The very tight entry to Christmas Cove.

David pulled the linear drive apart to find a wire worn through. Another quick fix. He also took the opportunity to pull out the anchor winch solenoid and filed down the contacts which were quite pitted.

Repairing the Linear Drive (Autopilot). Just a worn through wire.

Repairing the Linear Drive (Autopilot). Just a worn through wire.

Christmas Cove marina. Honesty system berthing at $30 a night.

Christmas Cove marina. Honesty system berthing at $30 a night.

2015-11-22 - FROM Christmas Cove TO American River

Trip start : 2015/11/22 06:52:01 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-21T21:52:01Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/22 08:53:25
Trip Duration : 2h01m (121 minutes)
Start Point : 137.934814,-35.718948
End Point : 137.774230,-35.788589
Travelled distance : 17.450 km (9.422 nm)
Average Speed : 8.65 km/h (4.67 knots)
Peak Speed : 19.43 km/h (10.49 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 16.430 km (8.871 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 8.14 km/h (4.39 knots)

With zero wind, we fired up the engines to get down to American River and the promise of some oysters. Some dolphins entertained us on the trip down, including a number of calves with their mums. Upon arriving David investigated a fair bit of water in the bilge, and discovered a few problems. The seal on our raw-water cooling pump was leaking, the waterlock was badly corroded and leaking, and the siphon stop on the circuit into the output manifold was leaking. This was a perfect storm of leaks, but only occurred when the starboard engine was running, which for us is not often. We would be down an engine until he could repair the problems.

More repairs! Severe corrosion in the waterlock. Leaking like a sieve.

More repairs! Severe corrosion in the waterlock. Leaking like a sieve.

The Oyster Shop did not open until 11am, so we went for a bit of a walk around American River before lunch. We grabbed a dozen (actually 14) oysters for $8, which is about a third of the price if you have the store shuck them and put them on a nice tray. Back to the boat for a nice lunch before heading off.

Shucking oysters from the American River Oyster Shop. $8 for 14!

Shucking oysters from the American River Oyster Shop. $8 for 14!

2015-11-23 - FROM American River TO Victor Harbor

Trip start : 2015/11/23 10:00:45 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-23T01:00:45Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/23 19:45:51
Travelling Time : 9h23m (563 minutes)
Trip Duration : 9h45m (585 minutes)
Start Point : 137.774703,-35.789089
End Point : 138.629776,-35.554531
Travelled distance : 89.565 km (48.361 nm)
Average Speed : 9.54 km/h (5.15 knots)
Peak Speed : 16.77 km/h (9.05 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 81.524 km (44.019 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 8.68 km/h (4.69 knots)

Winds were with us, so upon leaving American River we pushed on all the way to Victor Harbor. We were escorted by pods of dolphins on a couple of occasions. and were not sure if they were frolicking on our bows for our entertainment or theirs.

Arriving on dusk, we dropped the anchor near shore using only one engine but had to find a patch of sand before our Excel SARCA really bit in hard. Next morning it was off to Bursons to order some seals and bearings, and to a friendly autoshop who kindly pressed off the bearings for free.

Needing a few chandlery items from Goolwa, we decided to ride our bikes the 22km to Goolwa and then catch the heritage train back. Colleen found some of the hillclimbs challenging, but survived the trip reasonably unscathed.

Enjoying the heritage train ride from Goolwa back to Victor Harbor. We cycled the 22km trip on the outward leg.

Enjoying the heritage train ride from Goolwa back to Victor Harbor. We cycled the 22km trip on the outward leg.

Our tender didn’t do so well, as someone may have had a play in it while it was locked to a pole on the beach. One of the hubs of the wheels had broken, so we struggled to get the tender back into the water and ordered some new wheel hubs from the manufacturer in NZ.

2015-11-26 - FROM Victor Habor TO Robe

Trip start : 2015/11/26 07:35:02 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-25T22:35:02Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/27 06:22:16
Trip Duration : 22h47m (1367 minutes)
Start Point : 138.630325,-35.555229
End Point : 139.754104,-37.160278
Travelled distance : 211.535 km (114.220 nm)
Average Speed : 9.28 km/h (5.01 knots)
Peak Speed : 19.53 km/h (10.54 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 204.885 km (110.629 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 8.99 km/h (4.85 knots)

A reasonably long distance to the next anchorage meant another overnighter. We delayed leaving until well after dawn so that we would arrive at dawn, and set off with the sails heavily reefed. Swell was pretty bad and the journey was not comfortable.

Arriving at Robe, we were surprised to get a call on the VHF out for the blue from David and Leanne of Priorities. They were inviting us to a BBQ dinner ashore with Jock and Ruth who had spent a number of years cruising Australia, Asia, and the Indian Ocean in a catamaran. An excellent evening ashore followed, and listening to Jock and Ruth was inspirational.

Just pottering around the boat the next day, a whiff of more problems was in the air. It soon became too strong to ignore, so poking his head into the port enginebay David discovered the holding tank overflowing. Uurk. It had been a year and a half since our previous descaling, so we were well due, but it’s never a nice job. It was especially bad as the outlet from the tank was blocked too, meaning we had to dump the tank into the bilge and pump it out from there. Yep. That is as bad as it sounds.

Dismantling the entire sewage system, David discovered all hoses blocked to a greater or lesser extent, a couple of connectors putting restrictions in the flow, the exit seacock was not shutting (!) and the holding tank had a split in it about halfway up. Another perfect storm… but this time it was crap rather than water. Rather than refit everything only to rip it out later on, we decided to use the toilet in the other hull and leave the port dunny out of commission.

2015-11-30 - FROM Robe TO Southend

Trip start : 2015/11/30 08:27:33 (Adjusted Local) (2015-11-29T23:27:33Z UTC)
Trip end : 2015/11/30 15:00:52
Trip Duration : 6h33m (393 minutes)
Start Point : 139.754104,-37.160461
End Point : 140.116989,-37.567291
Travelled distance : 66.773 km (36.054 nm)
Average Speed : 10.19 km/h (5.50 knots)
Peak Speed : 15.86 km/h (8.56 knots)
Straight-line Distance : 55.452 km (29.941 nm)
VMG Average Speed : 8.46 km/h (4.57 knots)

We had a nice run down to Southend where we had enjoyed a couple of holidays back when we were land-based. Initially we went out with only the genoa flying, but it strengthened and came more from the rear so we pulled up the main and put away our foresail. Upon arrival, there were about twenty crayfish boats to weave through, but we managed to get past them and throw down the anchor close to shore. Strong winds were predicted for overnight so we wanted a bit of protection.

It’s definitely been a month for leaks and repairs. Hopefully things will improve in December when we will catch up with friends and family in Melbourne.

Comments are closed.